What services can the UCC@CMNS provide?
- Internship search strategies: first attend internship workshop at the Center or try the steps outlined in the Guide to Getting Experience. Make an in-person appointment if you are not getting results.
- Job search strategies (networking, follow-up etiquette, informational interviews): Refer to go.umd.edu/Search to get started.
- Developing customized application materials for desired industry, field or graduate/professional school: consult go.umd.edu/rescl to develop first drafts of your resume and cover letter, following the examples as closely as possible. Then have your drafts reviewed in an in-person appointment. Check out a prerecorded How to Write a Technical Resume presentation. Click here for a number of different resume samples, including science and technical resumes.
- Making contacts within a specific industry: attend Career Center’s workshops, panels, and employer events (regularly check calendar at go.umd.edu/UCCevents).
- LinkedIn profile critique or help using it to network: as a first step, watch this short video to see how to use LinkedIn to find alumni.
- Preparing for interviews: see go.umd.edu/Interview for tips before a mock interview or if an in-person mock interview is not feasible. Check out this tip sheet on Technical Interviews or this one on Case Interviews.
- Graduate and professional school: browse the advice at go.umd.edu/Grad. Attend a University Career Center workshop on thinking about grad school (typically offered in the spring), a workshop on personal statements (typically offered in the fall) or make an appointment.
- Additional resources on topics such as salary research, diversity in the workplace, preparing for career fairs are available at www.careers.umd.edu. Be sure to check out the 2019-2020 Terp Guide too!
What have other Terps done with my major?
Linked here are a few major guides highlighting Industries/Career Paths, Organizations, Job Titles, Graduate Schools, Skills gained in the major and a few specific major resources.
Click here for: CMNS Job and Internship Opportunities
Use a current web browser, like Chrome 72 or higher, to view the link above.
Missed a career panel or employer event?
Throughout the semester, we have career panels and workshops on a number of different industries or topics. If you missed one of them check the University Career Center's YouTube Channel to view the recording.
How can students schedule appointments?
All appointments at the University Career Center @ CMNS can be scheduled online through Careers4Terps (C4T) at www.careers.umd.edu, or by calling the University Career Center & The President's Promise at 301-314-7225. During this period of online classes and services, you can still make appointments. They will just be a phone or video call.
Whether you know exactly what you want to do after college or are still exploring different career options, career exploration during college provides an opportunity to think about what applications of your college learning will be most satisfying to you after college.
Where is the University Career Center @ CMNS located?
1320 Symons Hall, Right now resources are available online. Appointments can be made for phone or video meetings. You can also email Rachel (email@example.com) with any questions or concerns.
Who would you meet with?
Careers4Terps is a free, web-based service providing students and alumni access to full-time, part-time and internship positions posted by employers looking for UMD students and alumni.