Advising and Academic Planning

The College provides academic advising services to all CMNS undergraduates. Additional resources to assist with academic planning are provided as well.

Academic Advising

Information on how to make an advising appointment is found on the departmental website for the major or minor. Career goals, academic planning, academic progress, and course selection are among the topics discussed during advising sessions. Advising is mandatory for Atmospheric and Oceanic Science, Astronomy, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Computer Science, Math and Physics majors. Biological Sciences has mandatory advising initially; additional details are on the Biological Sciences website.

The College offers drop-in advising in the CMNS Student Services Office.

Advising for health professions is provided through the Reed-Yorke Health Professions Advising Office.

Academic Planning

Curriculum sheets, sample four-year plans, and information on benchmark requirements are found on departmental websites for the major or minor. Detailed Information on research and internships, Departmental Honors Programs, and other opportunities are on departmental websites as well. Visit the Career Ready section for an overview of these opportunities and others.

Declaring a CMNS major or minor

New students

Visit the Admissions section regarding the process.

Currently enrolled students

Currently enrolled UMD students who wish to declare a major or minor in a CMNS discipline should follow the processes below depending on which program they are interested in. Students must be in the major in which they will graduate prior to registering for their last semester, and they must officially add a double major/double degree one year prior to graduating. The CMNS Peer Mentors assist students with making four-year plans for their prospective major.

Astronomy | Atmospheric and Oceanic Science | Geology | Mathematics | Physics

  • Make an appointment with the CMNS department advisor for your major or minor.  The advisor will explain major/minor requirements and will help you assess whether or not the major is right for you.
  • Complete and sign a change of major form at this meeting.
  • To declare a major: Submit a change of major request through Terp Engage at  Your request will be reviewed and become effective in the subsequent academic semester.  A major change is not complete until the CMNS Dean's Office has approved it.
  • To declare a minor: Complete the minor form provided by the department. The form will be reviewed by the department. 
  • Requests to add a major or minor will be denied if the request requires Dean's exception(s) to policy - for example, if the major would require the student to exceed the attempted course or repeat credit limits.  Students whose major request is denied will be notified by email.
  • Requests to add a second major or degree in their first semester at the University will be pending until final grades have been posted and you have a cumulative GPA.

Computer Science

  • Visit the prospective students section of the undergraduate Computer Science website for instructions on declaring a Computer Science major or minor.  The Computer Science major and minor were designated as limited enrollment programs beginning in the Fall 2019 semester.  

Biochemistry | Biological Sciences | Chemistry | Environmental Sciences & Policy - Biodiversity and Conservation | Neuroscience

These majors are limited enrollment programs. Admission to these majors is highly selective, including the completion of gateway courses and a minimum GPA. To apply to one of these majors, students should:

For any additional questions email

Immersive Media Design 

Immersive Media Design encompasses two degree programs: the Bachelor of Art, Emerging Creatives and the Bachelor of Science, Computing. Both degree programs are limited enrollment programs. To be eligible for either the B.A. or the B.S., students must complete a series of gateway courses and achieve a minimum GPA. Students interested in applying should:

Any additional questions should be directed to