Permission to Enroll

Currently enrolled UMD students must obtain permission to take courses at another institution PRIOR to enrolling. To request permission to take courses at another institution students should do the following:

  1. Discuss potential transfer course(s) with your advisor.
  2. Look up transfer course equivalencies in the Transfer Credit Services database.
  3. Carefully read the entire line for a course in the database including any footnotes and start and end terms. Courses with an MH or 19 footnote indicate that the course cannot be taken for GENED credit by current UMD students.
  4. Requests to REPEAT a course at another institution once it has been attempted at UMD will be automatically denied. If you wish to do this, please submit a Petition for Exception to Policy form. 
  5. If you want to enroll in another institution within your final 30 credits, explain why you need to take this class elsewhere in your final 30 credits. Include this explanation in the "create note" section at the bottom of the online form.
  6. Complete a permission to enroll form. Please ONLY include the course(s) you intend to take and try to avoid submitting multiple forms. If you have any questions, you can always email or call 301-405-2080.
  7. Wait for email notification of the decision on your request BEFORE enrolling at the other institution. Please allow at least 10 business days for processing.