There are numerous academic support resources such as free tutoring and practice exams. Check individual webpages below for updates on remote support.
- Mathematics Department resources: Free drop-in tutoring for all 100- and 200-level courses in mathematics.
- Math Testbank - Database of old math exams.
- Math Success Program - Free drop-in math tutoring.
- Math Learning Specialist - Appointments can be made through the link above.
Chemistry & Biochemistry
- Chemistry Tutoring and Chemistry Exam Test Bank by the Alpha Chi Sigma Fraternity: Free Chemistry tutoring up to General Chemistry 2.
- American Chemical Society Students Affiliates Chapter: Offers online tutoring for the lower level chemistry courses such as general chemistry and organic chemistry. Also offers tutoring for upper level and majors courses like biochemistry and physical chemistry. This is a fundraising effort, as such it is a *pay-for-service option.
Physics Department resources
Free physics tutoring.
Counseling Center academic resources
Resources for time management, studying, test prep, math learning, and other topics.
Teaching and Learning Transformation Center
Programs, resources, and training to help students reach academic and career goals.
STEM Learning Strategies
Reference document for study strategies, exam preparation, campus resources, and thinking like a scientist.
Guided Study Sessions
Regularly scheduled study sessions for traditionally difficult courses, led by students who were successful in the class.
Academic Achievement Programs: Academic Success and Tutorial Services (ASTS)
Free tutoring for biology, chemistry, computer science, mathematics, statistics, accounting, economics, and psychology courses.
The University of Maryland Tutorial Database
Contains a selection of tutoring resources.
The Office of Multi-Ethnic Student Education (OMSE)
Provides tutoring on a walk-in and by-appointment basis. Available to all students.
The Writing Center
Offers three types of free tutoring: in-person, live online, and 24-hour-later feedback. The Writing Center is for student-writers at any stage of the writing process, from early brainstorming to a polished draft. Regardless of your skill level or academic discipline, the writing center is an excellent resource for you.
The Counseling Center
Provides free confidental individual sessions with a counselor.
The Grammar Hotline
For questions about word choice, punctuation, sentence structure, and citing sources.
Private tutors by discipline:
Biology: Contact the Symons Hall Undergraduate Academic Programs Office (1322 Symons Hall, 301-405-6892).
Chemistry: Contact the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry Undergraduate Programs Office (1206 Chemistry Building, 301-405-1791).
Other subjects: Visit the departmental website for the major for information on private tutors.