The College of Computer, Mathematical, and Natural Sciences (CMNS) Alumni Association Network is pleased to sponsor the annual Undergraduate Summer Research, Travel and Educational Enrichment Award.
Description: This award is intended for use by undergraduate students within CMNS to help to defray costs related to conducting research, traveling to field courses, conferences, or other summer activities that enhance or expand the student's educational and professional development. The award shall not be used to provide tuition support for regular summer school courses. Award recipients will receive between $500 and $2,000 each.
Past award recipients included students conducting research on the College Park campus, some who traveled internationally to work as interns at research institutions, and others who traveled to take short courses or participate in academic competitions.
Who should apply?
Students whose planned summer research or educational activities fall within the scope of this award are encouraged to apply. Applicants for Summer 2020 must be:
- Enrolled in a CMNS major (primary or secondary major) as of January 1, 2020.
- In good academic standing.
- Returning/enrolled at UMD in Fall 2020; funds will not be awarded to seniors graduating in May or August 2020.
- Willing to present the results of their educational or research experience at an Alumni Association Chapter Meeting.
How to apply?
A complete application must be submitted not later than 5 PM on Thursday, February 6, 2020, using an electronic submission process. The application should be prepared as a single file (Microsoft Word or PDF).
The application must include:
- Current resume (not to exceed 2 pages), with cumulative GPA listed.
- Application statement (1000 words or less) describing the student's interests, the summer opportunity, and the potential impact of the award.
- Statement of sources of support - please describe briefly if you have received or are applying for other types of financial support for this research or educational activity.
- References - please provide the name, title and contact information (including email address) for TWO recommenders who can speak to your experience and qualifications, as well as the potential benefits of this award. One recommender listed must be a UMD faculty member. No letters of recommendation are needed; rather, recommenders may be contacted by the review committee to provide additional information about an applicant as part of the decision-making process.
Completed application materials will be uploaded via an electronic application process. Please follow the link below for uploading/submission of your application:
All application materials must be submitted by 5 PM on Thursday, February 6, 2020. Applications will be reviewed during February. We anticipate notifying awardees and announcing decisions by March 13, 2020.
Past Award Winners:
For further information or if you have questions, please contact Robert Infantino, CMNS Associate Dean, Undergraduate Education.