What services can the University Career Center @ CMNS provide?
- Internship search strategies: first attend internship workshop at the Center or try the steps outlined in the Guide to Getting Experience. Make an in-person appointment if you are not getting results.
- Job search strategies (networking, follow-up etiquette, informational interviews): Refer to go.umd.edu/Search to get started.
- Developing customized application materials for desired industry, field or graduate/professional school: consult go.umd.edu/ResCL to develop first drafts of your resume and cover letter, following the examples as closely as possible. Then have your drafts reviewed in an in-person appointment. Sample Computer Science resume with projects
- Making contacts within a specific industry: attend Career Center’s workshops, panels, and employer events (regularly check calendar at go.umd.edu/UCCevents).
- LinkedIn profile critique or help using it to network: as a first step, watch this short video to see how to use LinkedIn to find alumni.
- Preparing for interviews: see go.umd.edu/Interview for tips before a mock interview or if an in-person mock interview is not feasible. Check out this tip sheet on Technical Interviews or this one on Case Interviews.
- Graduate and professional school: browse the advice at go.umd.edu/Grad. Attend a University Career Center workshop on thinking about grad school (typically offered in the spring), a workshop on personal statements (typically offered in the fall) or make an appointment.
- Additional resources on topics such as salary research, diversity in the workplace, preparing for career fairs are available at www.careers.umd.edu. Be sure to check out the 2018-2019 Terp Guide too!
How can students schedule appointments?
All appointments at the University Career Center @ CMNS can be scheduled online through Careers4Terps (C4T) at www.careers.umd.edu, by calling 301-314-7225, or visiting the Center at 3100 Hornbake Library, South Wing.
Whether you know exactly what you want to do after college or are still exploring different career options, career exploration during college provides an opportunity to think about what applications of your college learning will be most satisfying to you after college.
Click here for: Job and Internship Opportunities
Use a current web browser, like Chrome 72 or higher, to view the link above.
Missed a career panel or employer event?
Throughout the semester, we have career panels on a number of different industries or topics. If you missed one of them and want notes or you want to browse the information we have based on industries or employers, check out our Document Library on Careers4Terps. If you missed a workshop presented by one of our staff, send us a quick email and we can share information with you.
Where is the University Career Center @ CMNS located?
1320 Symons Hall
Who would you meet with?
Careers4Terps is a free, web-based service providing students and alumni access to full-time, part-time and internship positions posted by employers looking for UMD students and alumni.