The CMNS Peer Mentor Program is not currently accepting applications. The application will open again in December 2021.
Who are the CMNS Peer Mentors?
The College of Computer, Mathematical, and Natural Sciences (CMNS) Peer Mentors are a group of devoted and energetic students who work in conjunction with the College’s Student Services staff in order to provide academic advice and assistance to fellow undergraduates.
Peer Mentors have the following responsibilities beginning in Fall 2021:
- Operate as front desk student worker (~3 hours/week)
- Hold weekly Peer Mentor Office hours and assist with four year plans (~3 hours/week)
- Engage in committee work (Special Events, Organization, or Communication)
- Act as a UNIV100 Teaching Assistant (fall semesters)
- Enroll in 3-credit EDUC388U course in Fall 2021 (SP in General Education)
- Attend monthly meetings during Fall and Spring semesters
Peer mentors who are hired are required to complete a 1-credit pass/fail course in Spring 2021. The course will begin in late March.
Requirements to apply:
- Must be a current sophomore or junior in a CMNS major
- By the end of spring 2021, must have completed 4 semesters (or 2 semesters if a transfer student) at UMCP and at least 60 credits
- At least 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Strong communication skills
- Enthusiasm and initiative
- Ability to work effectively in groups
- A flexible schedule
This is an hourly paid position, specifically for current undergraduates in CMNS.